Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2021 White Wine, 75cl
Our vineyard crews had their work cut out for them this year. Budburst came early across the region, while the cold nights and frosts in September and October meant very early mornings for the crew. Fortunately, the frost protection we have on most of our vineyard sites kept the grape safe. Of course, Mother Nature rarely does things by halves. The challenging conditions continued: unsettled weather during the December flowering period meant good soil conditions, but significant reductions in crop levels. But while she can be stern, Mother Nature can be equally generous - even in the same season. The growing period for 2021 was a continuous thread of beautifully warm, dry conditions, which gave us very little disease pressure to worry about. And, as is often the case, the lower yields had a significant upside: fantastic fruit. The perfect temperatures meant that acid levels remained high, with the grapes developing their full flavour on the vine. The end result is a vintage of outstanding quality and a Sauvignon Blanc with the hallmarks of a future classic.
At a glance
|Varietal designation||Sauvignon Blanc|
|Region of origin||Marlborough, Newzealand|
|Liquid volume||750 Millilitres|
|Item weight||0.75 Kilograms|
|Alcohol content||13.5 Percent by Volume|
|Wine type||White Wine|
Milk, Sulphur Dioxide, Sulphites
About this item
- Our Sauvignon Blanc comes largely from vineyards planted on the Wairau Valley floor, where the climate and free-draining gravelly soils are perfect for Sauvignon Blanc. This includes the Estate, Motukawa, Widows, Red Shed, and Mustang vineyards
- ON THE NOSE: The 2021 Sauvignon Blanc is intense and vibrant. The nose is open, appealing and expressive, with ripe passionfruit, white peach and a hint of lime.
- ON THE PALATE: The palate is deliciously concentrated and tropical, underpinned by nectarine and blossoms. Saline notes bring structure, while passionfruit and vibrant citrus acidity bring balance. The compelling finish encourages you to take another sip, and then another. It also hints at the rewards of keeping a bottle aside for a future special event - if you can wait, that is.
- THE FINISH: The palate is underpinned by a lively grapefruit acidity, carrying the intense fruit characters through to an impressively long finish.
- FOOD PAIRING: Northern Scottish shrimp, Asparagus with balsamic vinaigrette.